5 Micro-Habits to Live a More Aligned LifeJan 04, 2020
It is so easy to get overwhelmed when you think of creating and keeping new habits.
The articles that are written make it sound so easy:
Just wake up at 5 am.
Just exercise everyday.
Just always be positive.
JUST, JUST, JUST...
And yes, they are right, if we do ‘just’ keep doing positive habits, we will most likely feel better.
But how do we MAKE them a habit and KEEP doing them?
Keep reading to find out how and learn 5 micro habits you can start today!
Why it is Hard to Keep a New Habit?
Did you know each day we have 60 - 70 thousands thoughts each day? And of those thoughts 90% of them are the same thought we had the day before?
This is why it is hard to change a habit if we first don't change our thoughts.
In fact, neuroscience shows that 95% of who we believe we are by the time we are 35 is a set of memorized behaviors. That means our whole belief system on who we are, or who we are not, is drilled into our subconscious mind just like the ABC’s, our childhood phone number, or our national anthem.
That leaves us with only 5% of our conscious mind to challenge those memorized behaviors and form new beliefs and habits.
This is why so many people have a hard time making new habits.
Just being aware of this fact is the first step to start changing your view on habit formation and achieving your goals.
How to Create LASTING Habits
First, we have to start proving to those 95% set of memorized beliefs that things are going to start changing.
And you do this by building up your confidence through 'small wins' and MICRO HABITS everyday day that start on the INSIDE.
James Clear, author of Atomic Habits, states getting 1% better each day is the key to making lasting habits and changing your identity.
Taking his theory one step further, if you combine the 1% rule and start with a habit focused on your internal wellness - ie - mindset, mental wellness, emotional resiliency - you are going to make the lasting change that MATTERS most in life.
Shifting you fundamentally from the inside out.
Did you know setting Intentions is one of the most effective ways to create lasting change?
If you want to get unstuck and start living life on your terms then you need to start setting intentions for your life. Discover how to with this FREE Intention Setting Workbook>>
How to Form a New Habit
But where do you start?
Start by choosing habits that take less than 5 minutes and are focused on your overall emotional wellness.
By working from the inside out, you are not only boosting your confidence around habit formation, but creating fundamental shifts in your ingrained subconscious beliefs about yourself.
An added bonus -- these are habits that can be done anytime, anywhere, are free, and help us with our personal growth. Leaving us feeling more aligned, calm and present rather than shitty because we wasted our money on that gym membership, ate that extra cookie or slept in.
5 Micro - Habits In Less than 5 Minutes
1. Drink a glass of water after you get up. Our bodies are made up of over 70% water. Be kind to it and replenish. Have lemons? Even better. Lemon water aids digestion, improves skin, gives you a boost of vitamin c, and aids in weight loss.
2. Think of 1-2 things you are grateful for. No need to write out a list of 20, just think of 1-2 things and acknowledge them in your mind. Can’t think of any some days? Your eyes for seeing, your legs for walking, your warm house, clean water, fresh air. Look around there is always something to be grateful for. Focusing to even a brief moment of gratitude begins to shift your energetic vibrations to attract more positive energy.
3. Use your breath throughout the day to re-center. Have a wave of emotion rushing over you? Stop. Be aware. Take a few intentional breaths and really focus on just breathing to get re-aligned. Making the conscious effort to simply focus on your breathing stops subconscious patterns and starts making new neural pathways in our brains to help us regulate our emotions more effectively. *Need some grounding ideas - check out this blog post here.
4. Take a Moment throughout the day to be curious about something – even for a second. Instead of looking at something with judgment and resistance, try and look at it with curiosity. This starts shifting your brain from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. A growth mindset makes you excited to incorporate new habits and experiences in your life.
5. Use Visualization or "Mental Rehearsal" each day. Taking a moment to visualize what you want in life - whether it be visualizing your day in the morning, or visualizing an upcoming event, or visualizing your dream life - by adding visualization into your life you are continuing to train your brain to re-wire for the life you desire. You have to start challenging those patterned beliefs you have about yourself and one way to do this is through visualization. When you are in the shower, when you are laying down to go to bed, when you are on the bus, when you are walking. Take a moment to visualize what you want. Need help? Check out this FREE 5 day manifesting course to help you better understand the science behind visualizing and how you can incorporate this self development tool into your life.
Bonus Tip - Whatever time you get up - set your alarm to a NICE melody versus that annoying alarm buzz. This allows you to start your day off in a more peaceful and joyful state versus jumping out of your skin as you first wake up.
If you can even implement 1-2 of the above ideas into your life, you are starting to re-program your subconscious mind they will give you confidence to continue tackling new and different habits as you move forward.
Do you have any tips or tricks you use to create new habits? Let me know in the comments!
Interested in learning more practical tips and strategies for your mental well being and personal development - check out these articles:
- 11 Ways to Declutter Your Mind
- 7 Simple Self-Care Tips to Ease Overwhlem
- 5 Facts Everyone Needs to Know About Personal Energy
- 16 epic Brené Brown quotes on strength and courage to Inspire You!
OR Check Out these FREE Resources Below:
“Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny.”
Discover how to set intentions that actually work. Grab my FREE identity-based goal setting framework below.