How often do you find yourself not remembering what you did a few moments ago because your mind is so full of other ‘stuff’?
If you are anything like the rest of humanity - it is probably quite a lot.
The thing is, while we are so caught up in the routine, the worry, the anxiety, the social media, the online shopping, the “busyness” of life – we are missing out on the magnificent of life.
The moments that create the magic.
Being taught at a young age of how precious life is I have embraced mindfulness into my everyday life and love helping others to do the same; because not only do we never know what tomorrow holds – but EVERYONE older than us tells us how fast life goes by.
And lemme tell ya, as a new Millennial Mom – HOLY CRAP. It goes by in the blink of an eye.
They are all RIGHT.
We have to start learning from people before us to avoid their same mistakes.
Do you know what the top five regrets are of people who are dying according to a palliative nurse who chatted with hundreds of people in their last 12 weeks of life?
There is a pattern People and the fact that so many people's dying regrets involve being present - is a HUGE reason to invest in this holistic wellness routine.
Because I don’t know about you…. But I don’t want to be on my deathbed regretting things that I could have done differently through my personal choices!
One way to do that – is to start becoming more Mindful.
Awareness and Mindfulness is the key to happiness.
To being present.
To enjoying life – in all its glorious messiness.
In today post, I want to share 25 mindfulness exercises you can incorporate into your everyday. Most in less than 1 minute! :)
Ever actually wonder what mindfulness means? Berkeley’s Greater Good Magazine defines mindfulness beautifully:
“Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment, through a gentle, nurturing lens.
Mindfulness also involves acceptance, meaning that we pay attention to our thoughts and feelings without judging them—without believing, for instance, that there’s a “right” or “wrong” way to think or feel in a given moment. When we practice mindfulness, our thoughts tune into what we’re sensing in the present moment rather than rehashing the past or imagining the future."
Another way to think of mindfulness is to think of awareness.
Simply. being aware.
Mindfulness can change your life.
↠ It changed mine.
↠ I have witnessed it change others.
↠ And it can change yours.
It has been scientifically proven to decrease anxiety, and help you lead a healthier, and more intentional life. And guess what it is FREE and NATURAL!
Mindfulness is an easy self care activity you can use at home, work, on your commute or literally anywhere to help ground you back into the present so you can be more aware and intentional of the present moment.
Incorporating mindfulness into your day is seriously a gamechanger.
You are not only allowing yourself to be more present in the moment, but you are literally training yourself to come out of your subconscious mind and into your conscious mind – which is HUGE.
In a society that so many people lack self-awareness, struggle with mental health and live in a haze of day to day routines and habits – bringing mindfulness into your day is a holistic wellness strategy that can no longer be ignored.
The science backs up mindfulness and shows us how powerful this tool can be for our mental wellbeing and mental health.
No matter where you are in your life – no matter what age or stage, you can begin to incorporate mindfulness into your life little by little.
Go easy on yourself.
Keep practicing it.
Below is a list of 25 ideas to incorporate mindfulness in everyday activities!
Pick 1-2 activities on this list and just bring awareness to them for a few moments to minutes per day.
Living a more intentional life starts with awareness. Awareness starts with mindfulness. Mindfulness starts with micro habits that you can start anytime or anywhere.
Before we Dive In – Are you interested in learning how to set intentions for your life so you can be more confident, present and happy? One way to be more mindful is by setting intentions. Grab my free workbook here!
1. Turn up the Music - feel the Music – listen to music – feel the beats, let your body and mind be moved. Even if you have two left feet like me and maybe feel intimidated by it – gift yourself the beauty of music. I never fully appreciated music until I met my husband – who has shown me the beauty in all forms of music- no matter the genre and how he used it to heal.
2. Feel your body when you stretch – take a few moments to stretch your arms over your head and feel how good it feels. Feel the tension moving up your arms and the feeling of your body pushing the blood to all your limbs – thanking you for showing it some love. Movement is a powerful way to keep you mindful of the present and you don’t need a full yoga class - simply a 30 second stretch to recenter yourself.
3. Do a Guided Meditation – my fav! Find a guided meditation you love that helps you to stay calm and centred. Guided meditations are different than normal meditations as the instructor will walk you through the meditation and helps you to stay focused. I find it helps wandering minds and people who are just starting to meditate. They are still my go-to because my mind never seems to want to slow down and having that teacher guide me through it always helps me to stay grounded.
4. Practice Grounding - Grounding your body in breath and in the physical present moment is a powerful tool to help you be mindful. Not sure how to do this – check out my post here with some grounding techniques.
5. Breath Baby Breathe – the cheapest and most powerful tool we all possess- is our breath. Notice it. Deepen it. Exhale it. Hold it. Just bring awareness to it. Notice how it feels. And use it to clam and recentre in times of stress
6. Journaling – ahh writing. Journaling is not longer associated with high school dramas and relationship trouble. Journaling has been proven time and time again to help people discover and release energy that is holding them back. By writing things out and journaling you can stay present and allow yourself to release negative energy and look at your situation from a fresh perspective.
7. Listen to Podcasts – find an inspiring podcast you love. Lose yourself in the conversation, the story and the message. This not only keeps you in mindfulness but engages a growth mindset!
8. Go to Water – whether it be to a river, lake, stream, ocean or even in your bath tub or drinking a glass of water. Humans are made up of 80% water – being near water is grounding and rejuvenating for our souls. If you simply drink a glass of water be aware of how it feels in your mouth, throat and down to your belly as your body thanks you!
9. Pamper Yourself - I love a good bath and some aroma therapy. Vanilla candles - my weakness. Whatever your indulgence is - make sure you do it. At work I am not allowed to wear perfume - when I'm needing some self care at home - simply putting on perfume is something just for me. Pampering yourself doesn't have to be grandiose - just add little dashes of simple little things that make you genuinely happy.
10. Time in Nature – Mother Nature can heal like no other. It saddens me how little the world gets outside to enjoy her beauty as her healing powers are undeniable. Go to a park, go on a walk, and notice the beauty of the small things. Butterflies, birds singing, wind. Did you know there is actually a therapeutic process called Forest Bathing where you simply go out for a walk in the forest and it significantly decreases stress and anxiety.
11. Breathe in the Fresh Air – if you can’t get out in nature – open your window, go outside for a walk, just breathe in some fresh air. Get out of your house, condo or apartment and breathe. Feel how the air flows into your lungs. Air out your house and bring that Oxygen in.
12. See the World Through the Eyes of a Child – You know what I hate about being an adult - losing my sense of kid curiosity... of wonder. of awe. of pure presence. By consciously viewing the world through the eyes of child you will instantly become more mindful. Take in that flower blooming, tree swaying, bird flying over head.
13. Allow Yourself Grace – Those moments when you start getting down on yourself. When that voice in your head starts being hard on yourself – try and give yourself some grace and compassion. What would you say to your friend? Your child. Try and be kind to you.
14. Make Time for a Creative Hobby you Love – whatever you love doing -- gardening, painting, puzzling, crafting, singing, dancing, whatever your thing it...do it. Make space for it. Allow yourself to get fully lost in the moment of doing something you adore.
15. Get Vitamin D (aka Sunshine) – soak up the vitamin D outside. Getting outside in the sun and feeling aware of how it feels on your body is a great way to stay mindful. Can’t get outside – try and stand by a window. Or look at investing in a SAD Lamp.
16. Go back to Gratitude – re-centering yourself and your situation to a place of gratitude helps to re-frame situations and provide an alternative outlook. It helps to keep you mindful of your situation and focus on the things you do have – bringing you back into a place of mindfulness.
17. Taste your Food and Drink – I never appreciated food and drink until I met my Mother in Law. She is from Belgium and their view on food and drink is totally fascinating compared to Westerners. Before I ate to just eat. I would gobble down whatever was in front of me without thinking about it. It was not until I learned how the French ate that I started to be aware of the flavours, the taste of the wine on my taste buds and the feelings of satisfaction I had from food and drink. (don’t get me wrong I still go for a dill pickle chip binge every now and again – I am human - but I am definitely more aware!).
18. Visualizations and Manifesting – Manifesting and visualization is a great way to keep you grounded in the present while still getting aligned with your future. Manifesting and visualization is a tool to help re-wire your mind and to stay present and focused on your desires. It incorporates mindfulness as it helps you to really focus on your desires and be in the moment. (Want an awesome course on manifesting that is focused on how it helps with mindfulness? Sign up for your FREE 5 Day Manifesting Challenge HERE>
19. Mantras or Affirmations – love em or hate – these beauties are a great way to ground yourself in the present and keep you mindful of how you want to show up in your day. The key is to pick a mantra that aligns with you and what you are needing. Wanting to be more present? Make a mantra around being present. Wanting to make more money, make on around money. Wanting to be more calm? Wanting to be happier? The key is to make it in the affirmative.
20. Consciously Declutter your Mind – oh our minds – the thing that NEVER stops. In times of stress our minds go into hyperdrive. Add on the everyday messiness of life – parenting, working, finances, schooling, activities, relationships --- whew…. Your mind never stops. One way to help with this is clearing your mental clutter to gain clarity. Need some tips on how to do this – check out this post here!
21. Giving a Hug- but not just a hug... a HUUUUGGGG. And notice the feeling. I have a friend who is honestly the BEST hugger in the world. At first, I found it a little weird because she squeezed just that little-bit-tighter and held on just those few moments longer than everyone else…but as I surrendered to her hugs more and more, I have come to absolutely marvel in them. She reminds me of the power of a hug. Of energy connecting. So, hug your loved ones just that little bit longer and relish in the love.
22. People Watch and Notice Faces – Have you ever just simply noticed people walking by? People on buses, in trains, in cars, walking down the street? Sometimes simply noticing others, looking at their style, their mannerisms, their expressions, their being – not only connects us but reminds us how vast the world is. How many other people have lives similar or totally different than ours who are probably struggling with similar things to us. Plus who doesn’t like getting inspired by other’s peoples fashion!
23. Ditch Multitasking and Uni-task Instead – focus n one task instead of 20. Yes – close 19 of those open tabs and focus on one. You will be more productive and focused – while practicing mindfulness of the present.
24. Put the Phone Down – that moment you go to grab your phone out of boredom - as your finger clicks the Instagram icon – try and catch yourself now and again to see if you really need or want to look at it in that moment or if you are doing it because you are bored or wanting to numb. Don’t judge yourself, just start to notice.
25. Focus on What you CAN Control – one way to recenter and be more mindful --stopping that worry train in its track -- is to be aware of what you can and cannot control. That person’s reactions? Can’t control it. World events. Can’t control it. Other People’s decisions? Can’t control it. But you can control your responses, your thoughts and your actions. Empower yourself and focus on your circle of control.
The more you “break” mindless moments with a moment of awareness and mindfulness you are literally re-wiring your brain; breaking patterns and habits and creating new ones.
I hope you can try incorporating mindfulness into your day with some of these ideas for living a more mindful life.
Let me know in the comments if you found this helpful or if you have any tips to add!
Start with awareness. It is the key to everything.
Interested in learning more practical tips and strategies for your mental well being and personal development? You may be interested in these article:
OR Check Out these FREE Resources Below:
Don't worry, no spam from me, just tips to live a more present, balanced and emotionally healthy lifestyle!