How to Make a Manifesting Journal
Do you ever journal but then get overwhelmed by journaling because you are not doing it “enough” or feel like you don’t know what to write?
This used to happen to me all the time. I would go out get a journal, try and write in it and then felt guilty for not writing it and it eventually ended up in a box in my closet collecting dust. Out of sight, out of mind.
This was until I shifted my mindset around journaling and self development in general.
What I have learned from working in the self development field as a social worker for the past decade is that people can become easily overwhelmed with all the “rules” to self development and personal growth.
The thing is there are no rules when it comes to your personal growth journey.
Yes, there are guidelines you can follow, but ultimately when you engage in some sort of self-care, self development activity - you have to make it work for you, for your lifestyle and for your desires.
There is a no “one size fits all” here.
And this is the same with journaling.
Today I wanted to share with you some guidelines for you to use in case you have ever wanted to start a manifesting journal (or any journal for that matter) but really did not know where to start or what to do.
So if you have ever been on the fence out journaling or have given up before you started because you put some sort of “rules” about it in your mind – then this is the article for you.
Why You Need to Start a Manifesting Journal Today!
Physically, hand writing things down has been shown time and time again to be one of the most powerful ways to manifest our desires, to release energy from our souls and to keep us aligned with what we want in life.
In addition, when you write down your dreams, your ideal version of yourself and read them back to yourself and you are re-wiring your subconscious mind to create a new pattern, a new way of thinking and helping you to form new habits.
A manifesting journal is similar to a vision board, except it is more fluid as you continue to write, reflect and dream in this book. I actually created vision boards for years, and then eventually switched everything into my manifesting journal. I literally cut out photos, write and dream just like my vision boards – it is all just in one handy dandy book that I can read before bed!
What is a Manifesting Journal?
A manifesting journal is simply a journal you love where you write and describe your dream life in detail. It is used as a law of attraction tool to keep you aligned with your ideal life.
It is a place where you can dream. Where you put your “bucket list”, your words of affirmation, quotes that inspire you, gratitude entries and anything else that raises your energetic vibrations.
It is special book that holds your desires, dreams and aspirations.
A book that has no rules – just heart and passion.
A manifesting journal is a powerful law of attraction tool and writing in it is a powerful law of attraction ritual which keeps you aligned with your definition of happiness.
9 Tips for Creating Your Manifesting Journal
- Write Free from Judgement – allow this space to be free from judgement. Let your dreams go wild. Think of things you want to do, who you want to be and how you want to contribute to the world. This is a place where you can write all those childhood dreams that you long forgot about as life pushed you in one direction. It is where you can truly start making the blueprint to your life. Let yourself re-ignite that light within you and don’t allow fear or self-imposed judgments enter this book. It is a place of high vibe energy, passion and love.
- Be as Creative or Simplistic as you Like – are you a crafter? Cut out magazine photos and paste them in. Are you a minimalist? Keep it clean and all in one colour. Are you a free spirit? Mix up whatever feels right to you. Make it yours. Dream. Be you. Go wild.
- Add in Sprinkles of Gratitude – when you are feeling thankful for something or someone in your life – write it in the book. Adding positive energy into this manifesting book only helps to activate the law of attraction and keep your energy in a place of elevated emotions (which quantum physics tells us re-wires our brains from living in scarcity to abundance and thus re-wiring our subconscious minds). Sometimes I just list out a few things or write a whole spiel about how much I love someone or something or how grateful I was for the person who smiled at me that day when I was having a really shitty day. Writing out gratitude infuses positive energy into your life and journal and is always so awesome to reflect on as a reminder of how wonderful life can be.
- Practice Self Reflection – Awareness is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Period. And by having a dedicated place to write all of your hopes, dreams, desires and feelings in – provides the perfect opportunity for you to be the scientist of your life. In order for us to grow, to manifest, to live the lives we truly want inside, we have to start challenging the shit that is holding us back. And one of the most powerful ways to do this is through self-reflection. Maybe there was a day you were feeling blah and your jotted it down in your journal – that’s totally okay…. It is actually a great entry to re-visit in the future to see if things have shifted or if there is still work needing to be done. Self-Reflection also gives you gentle reminders to continue to take aligned action towards your dream – because this is a key part of manifesting – want to learn more check out my FREE MANIFESTING COURSE HERE.
- Add in Affirmations, Mantras and Positive Quotes you Love – when you get a quote or mantra that resonates with you – write it down. Make it big and loud on the page so when you flip through it you are reminded of this quote. Add colour, pictures or keep it minimalist. Whatever you do – capture those words that capture your soul. You will thank yourself later – I promise. Below is still one of my most fav entries that I look at ALL. THE. TIME. Because it resonates soo deeply with me.
- Make Sure to Put the Date on your Entries – Okay this one sounds so simple – but I seem to always forget to do this and then kick myself when I am self-reflecting. As my manifesting journal usually lasts me over a year (maybe even 2 – remember you write in it when you want and make the rules) when I do reflect I find myself wishing I had known the date I had those thoughts – was it a few months ago? A year ago? During a time of struggle in my life? By adding the date – moth, day and year – you will thank yourself in the future when you are reflecting on how far you have come!
- Look Back on Writings – this is always so fun. I love going through my dream journals and seeing what I was thinking a few weeks, months, or years ago. I love looking at the stuff I created and dreamed and seeing what came true, what I still want and what maybe has shifted for me as I have grown and matured. I also use it as a grounding strategy for those times in life when you are struggling, not aligned or feeling ‘off-course’. This is similar to self-reflection but a more light-hearted and uplifting version!
- Write When You are Inspired or When Your Intuition Nudges You – Sometimes I got overwhelmed journaling thinking if I did not do it everyday then I was somehow ‘failing’ at journaling. The thing is journaling works different for everyone. Sometimes I journal back to back days, other times I don’t journal for a few days if not weeks. The main thing is to use it as a tool that works for you. But do try and write it in when you are feeling inspired. Listen to that nudge inside of you and let your pen fly. Although getting in the habit of writing is always a good habit to have, when starting out, don’t feel you HAVE to journal everyday because the internet told you to – then it feels like a chore and it may backfire and become a burden versus a place of passion. Make it work for you!
- Gift Yourself a Journal You Love – okay, this is not a necessity, however…. I highly recommend getting a journal that speaks to you as you are going to have it for a while and you want it to evoke happiness in you. There are sooo many beautiful journals out there and as this is a special dream book – treat yourself to one you love. And although you can use online programs or an old notebook you have lying around – as this is a form of self care, pampering and self love – I suggest spending the 10-40 on a journal that will be a keepsake for life. Go to your favourite bookstore in person or online and instead of buying a few Starbucks coffee – invest in this.
↡ ↡ My current (almost full!) manifesting journal ↡ ↡
There you have it. My top 9 tips on how you can start a manifesting journal and use this powerful law of attraction ritual as part of your goal getting dreams and desires.
Incorporating manifestation into my goal setting strategies has created so many amazing opportunities in my life. From moving to the Island I always wanted to live on as a child, to getting a dream career, my house and my husband.
Manifestation is a self development tool that keeps us aligned, centred, focused on the present while planning for the future.
A manifestation journal another way to amp up your life, get unstuck and keep moving forward towards your definition of happiness – whatever that looks like to you!
Do you use a manifesting journal? Let me know in the comments below!
Interested in learning more practical tips and strategies for your self-development and personal growth? You may be interested in these articles:
OR Check Out these FREE Resources Below: